Monday, October 31, 2011

Sharpening My Saw

Linda J. Eyre tells this story in her book A Joyful Mother of Children:

"My husband's grandfather was a master carpenter. As a little boy, he used to watch his grandfather work, and he noticed that after cutting a few boards Grandpa's saw went slower and slower until smoke curled from the cutting edge and perspiration dripped from the old man's brow. The boy knew that even though his grandpa was anxious to finish the item or had a deadline for completion, he still took time to sit on a stool and methodically sharpen the saw.  Richard loved watching Grandpa's look of pleasure when he put the saw back to the board and it cut like a hot knife through butter."

TopDad and the boys were off school on Friday as a compensatory day after a week of parent/teacher conferences.  We got a couple of things done to the house, namely putting up a new latch and deadbolt on the front door and removing the old storm door (for use at the back of the house) and putting up a new full glass one to show off the pretty original door to the living room.

Here's the new door, right next to Ironman and his hippie friend (Dr. Hair and Dandylion). A pretty Autumn sunset is reflected in the door. Too bad you can't see the pretty front door. Next time.

Saturday while TopDad was putting up the new door, I was upstairs in our bedroom cleaning, decluttering and rearranging.  Sharpening my saw!  I couldn't move for the piles of stuff, mostly books, but lots of papers, clothes (changing seasons) and other miscellany that needed to be put away, decided upon, or trashed.  My goal is to have NO PILES on any of the floors in any of the rooms.  Lofty goal, but I believe in the scripture that says: "Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion." (D&C 132:8)  I want mine house to be that way too.

So, to that end I'm taking time at this busy season to clean and organize so I can better accomplish all my tasks for the upcoming holidays.  Next up is my sewing/crafting room. I'm borrowing Dr. Hair's camera for before and after pictures so you can see the difference.

May you take time to sharpen your saw and then cut through your tasks like a hot knife through butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment