Friday, March 4, 2016

Friday's Frugal Roundup

Often, being frugal is more about what you don't spend money on, rather than what you do.

Some examples from my own life:

I don't have an appointment every eight weeks with a hair salon. I get my hair cut about every six months or more. I don't color or highlight my hair. During a time of extreme frugality I let it grow for over four years, relying on free trims from myself, my husband and children to get through. Last fall I got a perm to help me get through the "ugly" stages of growing out layers. I don't spend very much money on my hair. To my eyes, natural hair is more attractive. We've been pretty well brainwashed to believe that light colored hair is more beautiful, or that having a new color or style every few months is necessary. Hogwash! Natural hair that is healthy and silky to the touch, that swishes with head movement is the prettiest to me. And when my hair began to go white at the temples I named them my racing stripes! A frugal person has to have a good sense of humor.


I don't get manicures and/or pedicures, other than the ones I give myself.


To my eyes, natural is best. And, of course, it is the easiest and cheapest to keep up. Nail polish is pretty for special occasions, but a woman or girl with chipped nail polish and scraggly nails is not impressive. Want strong nails? Take an Omega 3-6-9 supplement each day! It's great for both skin and nails.

I don't follow clothing fads or fashions. I'm either ahead of or behind the times. But who cares. Most of us are not photographed as the current "It" girl. Most of us are just anonymous women living normal lives. Looking good is more a matter of cleanliness, good fit, (mended, no drooping hems or missing buttons) and appropriate colors. That doesn't need to break the bank or keep us in debt.

I don't have a smart phone. I use a five year old Tracphone flip phone to call and text my family.  I spend maybe $100 per year. Using a non-smart phone takes planning ahead, but that's what we did in the "olden days" so I'm used to it.

We don't pay for cable, satellite or dish TV.  In fact, we haven't watched television for over twenty-five years. I'm sure we haven't missed much of value.

I do my best to adhere to the pioneer adage "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" which invites and encourages creativity in using what we have, whether food ingredients or crafting supplies to make what is needed or wanted.

Another virtue of a frugal person that I've developed is Patience. Waiting for the perfect deal, the right piece of furniture on Craig's List, the best sale on canned goods, or whatever it is. Sometimes when we're patient, the "need" goes away by itself, or rather because circumstances change and it wasn't such a pressing need after all. Or if we put the word out we find that someone else is wanting to get rid of the very thing we want! Or maybe it comes for a birthday present or other gift occasion. Frugal people are patient! And we work out creative alternatives in the meantime.

How were you frugal this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment