Friday, January 3, 2020

Friday's Frugal Roundup

Long time no see . . .

Happy New Year! I've got some plans that I'll reveal along the way. How about you? I do want to get back to doing a regular post about all my frugal activities. Particularly as I'll be working harder on that this year. I have a goal to reach and I need to be more serious and creative about not spending.

So here's the roundup:

  • My husband and I had a little get away for my birthday and stayed two nights at a AirBnB which was much cheaper and way nicer than any hotel we've ever stayed in.
  • I used cold water for most of my laundry this week (whites do better for me in warm)
  • Cleaned out and organized 2 refrigerators with freezers and 1 chest freezer; inventoried the food for menu planning
  • Made bread crumbs from all the collected ends and crusts from the freezer
  • Bought navy blue shoe polish so I can maintain my expensive dress pumps
  • Made lunches for my husband and son to take to work
  • Got out my cloth handkerchiefs to use instead of paper tissues
  • Made next week's menu plan using up items from the fridges and freezer
  • Returned library books on time to avoid any fines
One of my goals this year is to have a No Spend year--meaning I won't spend on any of my vices such as books, patterns, fabric, movies, music, dishes, pretties, etc. I don't need any clothes either, except the ones I'm going to sew from patterns and fabric I already have. I have a goal to save a specific amount for a specific project (to be revealed later) so I'm motivated to stay disciplined and deliberate in my spending this year.

I also did all my usual things of keeping the thermostat low and wearing a sweater or hoodie; opening the curtains to let the sun in, closing them when the sun isn't shining to hold the heat in; planning errands to minimize gas usage; turning off lights, and water, etc.

What did you do to save money or not spend this week?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, although I think handkerchiefs can spread germs when used for a bad cold. Kleenex has saved so many lives. We are getting ready to go on a mission and are selling our house. So no buying is also here. We need nothing, we need to get rid of so much. Plus I need to eat down the pantry and the food storage. Here to a great no spend year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to be getting ready for a mission!! My parents served three and our family was so wonderfully blessed.

    ReplyDelete