Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wednesday Hodge Podge

Each Wednesday another blog features a "Hodge Podge" of questions to be answered by the blogger. This week's questions resonated with me and I decided to post them here.

1. On Thursday we pause to remember a dark day in history: 9/11. Will you mark it in some special way?

No special plans at this time. I'll be watching the news online carefully. I have two children in the military and I feel concern for their safety.

2. Do you ever/still . . .listen to an actual radio? Watch a videotape (VCR)? Look up a number in a phonebook? Refer to a paper map while traveling? Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone?

I used to listen to the radio a lot, but we're too far out in the boonies and only get one station now so I don't anymore, although I sometime listen online. We frequently watch videotapes because it's too expensive to replace all our favorites with dvds. I LOVE phonebooks! It's the first place I look for information, but then I'm rather old-fashioned. I LOVE maps too! I refer to them often when traveling, although I have to say that Noble's expertise and Smartphone came to the rescue when we had trouble finding our way around cities on our vacation. I have an old clock-radio that I use to wake me up. I usually turn my phone off at night so that random beeps and rings done wake me up.

3. Is is ever a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?

Only if they ask a specific question or if I can correct a misconception.

4. What's a dish you haven't eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it this month?

Hot soup. And yes, I made some Taco soup on Saturday and it was delicious.

5. What's something you know nothing about?

Asian history, coal mining; cattle breeding; oh, lots of things. But there is almost nothing that doesn't interest me. I love learning ad frequently get books at the library on subjects that I want to learn about.

6. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece?

I love Classical Music!!! When I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades my parents bought me tickets to the San Diego Symphony Young People's Concert series; four concerts each year. I fell in love! I don't have just one favorite piece, but I am partial to Baroque composers like Bach and Handel. Live classical music is one of the things I miss most living out in the boonies.

7. What's the oldest thing you own?

I have some pieces of crochet made by one great-grandmother, and a delicate sherbet glass from another great-grandmother.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm definitely an old-fashioned girl and always have been. When I was a child my favorite game was playing "pioneers". I think I would have been an awesome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment