Saturday, January 8, 2022

What I Don't Do and When I Read

One of my readers left a comment (thank you, Out of My Window) on my previous post that she wished she had as much time as I do for reading. Well, we all have the same 24 hours each day, we just chose to use the time differently. I wish I got as much quilting done as some bloggers I know!

So here's a list of some of the things I don't do that allows me more time to read:

1. I don't go to work--that is to earn an income. I'm a stay at home wife, mother, homemaker. I'm so grateful my husband has a military pension, and is a hard-working man who earns a good income so I can stay home. Many are not so blessed.

2. I don't watch television (or any regular shows on streaming services). I watch movies while I iron, or other mindless tasks such as folding clothes; and occasionally I watch a specific short series, such as Masterpiece Theater; but we don't have cable, dish, or satellite service. I use my daughter's Netflix account, and I pay for a Korean show streaming service. When I feel "lonely" in the house I turn on music, either my Ipod or cds on the stereo.

3. I don't garden, or have fruit trees--Not that I wouldn't like to, but I just don't do it. I have a small flower garden, and a big compost bin, but I've never lived anywhere long enough to establish a garden or put in fruit trees.

4. Having no source of free fruits or vegetables, I don't bottle my own food. It's much cheaper for me to buy canned goods.

5. I don't participate in social media: Facebook (I check my account less than once a week), Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, TikTok, or whatever other time waster is out there. I use my phone for telephone calls and texting, sometimes I take a photo. That's it. I have a laptop that I use for all my other needs and I have specific times that I check email, news, weather, blogs, etc. 

When I Read

I read at meals when I'm alone, which is most of the time for breakfast and lunch. I read after my daily chores are done, or while I'm waiting for something. I read at night before I go to sleep. Every night!
I'm also a fairly fast reader, especially of fiction so I can get through many books. I read non-fiction slower generally because I'm checking footnotes or looking something up in the dictionary or other reference books.

I love to read! More than I love to do anything else. So it makes sense that I make time for it. You don't have to feel bad that you don't read as many books as I do. You probably do a lot more of something else that I don't do. And isn't that wonderful? I'll share what I read, and you can share what you do and we'll all be enriched.


1 comment:

  1. YOu are blessed to have a husband that works hard. Mine could never support a family and it was up to me to makes ends meet. Still working, probably will till I die. But I love to read.

    ReplyDelete