Friday, April 1, 2011

The Seamstress is Home

In other news, I'm making Easter Dresses for Noble and me.  Hers is a gorgeous yellow pique, faux wrap bodice set on a circle skirt.  She showed me a picture of a dress she wanted and I'm making it.  The dress in the picture is sans sleeves, and she asked me to add them.  So I'm stretching myself to the limits of my sewing knowledge to do this, but it's been fun! Mine will be a sky blue linen shift.

For the first time in forty years of sewing (ee-gads that makes me sound old) I made a muslin to fit to Noble, and had fun doing it.  I had to do this as I was using a pattern but adjusting it to look similar to the picture and I needed to try it before cutting out the fashion fabric.  I cut out and sewed together one bodice, fit it, cut out another with all the changes to the front and was very proud of myself.  Then I had to ponder on how to attach the waistband and skirt to the bodice with a side opening owing to the wrap front bodice.  It overwhelmed my brain which later came back with a simpler solution: Use a zipper in the back and have the front a faux wrap.  Bingo!  But that meant adjusting the back so I had another fitting and was able to make all the adjustments, cut out a new bodice and have it fit perfectly.  I love this! 

As President Uchtdorf says "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul."  Amen, brother.  I feel alive when I'm creating, whether it is a dress, a quilt, an orderly room or dinner.  I love to create!

I am taking steps to return to college next year and pursue a degree in clothing design; not so I can get a job in New York, rather I want to translate the ideas in my head for modest, beautiful clothing to actual things for me (and others) to wear.  If it goes further than that, fine, but right now I'm taking one step at a time.  April 8 I'm scheduled for a college visit and "Behind the Scenes" look at the annual Fashion Show at Iowa State University in Ames.  I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment