Monday, May 28, 2012

De-Cluttering Decisions

Now that school is out we are pressing forward with "The Next Big Project" which is to move to the house next door. My parents bought the house in January as a rental investment property and we were supposed to get it ready to rent. As we worked on it we thought it would be a good house for us, especially since it is that much farther away from the "neighbors from hell" on the other side of us. In March we sent a proposal to my parents with two options -- renting from them and buying the house outright from them. They discussed it thoroughly and made their decision. While I was with my Dad after my Mom's funeral he told me their decision was to give us the house as an early inheritance. The legal details will be taken care of later in the summer, but for now we can proceed to prepare the house for us to move into.

Preparation consists of finishing the bathroom remodel (the little old lady had a step-in tub which we took out and putting in a regular tub), cleaning and PAINTING! Finally, after sixteen years I'll have a home that reflects my taste in colors and decor! That hasn't happened since we lived in Mount Vernon, Washington. (Except for a beautiful paint job in the dining room, hallway, and bathroom by my big sister in Midvale; love you D!)

Anyway, part of this move will be a thorough decluttering. Since I know what my "new" house looks like and how much storage there is I can be picky about what I move over there. And if it doesn't fit, it's gone!  (Stop by our HUGE yard sale on June 9.) Our home population has gotten smaller also, the oldest three are gone, pretty much permanently, so for instance, I don't have to keep so much bedding on hand. (Which is what I moved today.)

Beginning tomorrow I'll post some pictures to show our progress.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you! that is a great gift and comfort. I would love a home of my own, paid for and not have to worry about paying the landlord every month. Have some fun going thru all your stuff too.

    ReplyDelete