Monday, July 26, 2021

Books I Read in June 2021

I love reading! I love learning! For me they go hand in hand. I don't attend classes (although I think that would be great) so I read about the subjects I'm interested in to learn more. This year my goal continues to be to read an equal number of fiction and non-fiction.  Here's what I read in June.

1. How to Make Disease Disappear by Dr. Rangan Chatterjee  This is an expansion of what he talks about in his TEDx talk.

2. City of Joy by Dominique LaPierre  Totally interesting, sometimes heart wrenching account of a particular slum in Calcutta, India. A movie was made, but it focused mainly on the story of the doctor while the book focused more on the story of a Polish Priest and one particular family.

3. Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery  Sixth in the Anne series, continues the fun story of her marriage and children.

4, 5, 6. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency; Tears of the Giraffe; Morality for Beautiful Girls, all by Alexander McCall Smith. These are the first three of the series. Needing something uplifting and entertaining I turned to my old friend Precious Ramatswe and her colleagues and friends.

7. Extreme Ownership How Navy SEALS lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
I was introduced to Jocko Willink through a Prager U video. For the first time in my 60+ years I understood the difference between discipline and motivation. It changed me! And this book is fantastic. I listened to an audio version read by the authors and thoroughly enjoyed their gravelly voices.

8. The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care and How to Fix It by Marty Makary, MD.
Another great book exposing many of the problems with the medical industry. If you've had problems with excessive medical bills this will help you understand why and what to do about it.

9. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Another old friend I turn to when feeling low. Father Tim is one of the most lovable Christlike humans around. Flawed and a bit set in his ways, he nevertheless serves tirelessly and makes a difference wherever he goes.


2 comments:

  1. I have to go back and read the Anne of Green Gables series. I so loved it as a teenager . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choices! I find there is such a sense of well-being in reading a good book.

    ReplyDelete