Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sometimes Comparisons are Helpful

Often at church we're told not to compare ourselves to each other, and that's a good thing. We see each other at church and compare our worst self, the one we know intimately, to the best, Sunday self of the others in attendance.

Once in a while, though, a comparison is a good thing. I try really hard to keep my house clean, not just tidied, de-cluttered, and such, but clean, as in windows washed, walls dusted and washed, floors swept and vacuumed, bathrooms clean, kitchen scrubbed and clean, etc. Because I live with a bunch of males that don't see things my way it never quite measures up to my standard, but over the years I've learned to live with it. During the time I had lots of little children my standards had to be regularly retrieved with a posthole digger.

Sometimes I have gotten really envious of someone else's beautiful home, wondering why can't I have a well decorated, lovely home like theirs. Occasionally I go to someone's home and leave with the feeling that mine, in comparison, is absolutely wonderful.

A while ago I had occasion to go inside a home while waiting for a ride to an activity. Immediately stepping into the house I was overpowered by the smell of animals. It actually made my eyes and nose water. An area rug on the floor was so covered in animal hair that I couldn't see the color. Dust and debris covered all the furniture, piles of papers and books were everywhere. It was pretty disgusting.

Later when I returned home I felt better about my humble, but CLEAN, home. Sometimes comparisons put things in perspective and I find I'm on the long end of the stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment