Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's a Mental Thing, and other news

I made a new batch of hand lotion today from a bunch of odds and ends. Several weeks ago I decluttered an area that is extremely easy for me: The medicine cabinet and toiletries stockpile. This area is easy because I don't have emotional attachments to itch creams and expired prescriptions. I threw away lots of stuff and junk, pulled together all the first aid supplies so I can see where the holes are; and organized what's left so I can find it when needed. Now I'm working my way through the shampoo and conditioner from hotel stays before I buy more, and I'm happy to know that I don't have to buy bath soap for the next year or so. I do, however, need toothpaste!

Today I gathered up all the oddball lotions and the almost empty bottles from around the house and stirred them into one luscious pot of fruity smelling rich lotion. I bet I can go another whole month before I have to open the big new bottles in the stockpile. I love saving money!

Decluttering and dejunking is difficult for me because through all the years of being "poor" (read-in debt up to our eyeballs) I have developed a scarcity mentality. It's very similar to the old folks who grew up in the Great Depression--better hang on to this, I may need it. I DO NOT like this mental state, but I'm not sure how to overcome it. However, I'm determined to keep working on it.

In other news, I'm working on Noble's 2012 Easter Dress; however, because it is a surprise for her I can't give any previews. Look for it the week of April 9.

I recently got some books from the Library, among them one called "The dirty life - A memoir of farming, food and love" by Kristin Kimball. Totally wonderful book! She a New York City journalist who goes on assignment to Pennsylvania to interview a farmer on a Community Supported Agriculture farm. Somehow during the interview(s) they fall in love and end up moving to New York state and buying a huge derelict farm and begin working it using giant Belgian draft horses and hand labor. Kristin has a delightful voice and witty turn of phrase (kind of reminds me of "The Egg and I" by Betty MacDonald). I laughed out loud, cried real tears and felt my heart swell. But then I like this kind of book. I highly recommend it, especially if you like memoirs, this one is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment