Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wednesday's Wisdom

What to Do When You Can't Do What You Want to Do

Redecorating, refurbishing and remodeling all take some money, sometimes lots of money, regardless of what the optimistic magazine writers say. Plus it all takes time and energy. Often those three elements don't come together at the same time. I have money, but no time. I have energy, but no money. You know the scenarios.

So what does a homemaker do? What do we do when there isn't any money or time or energy for the big project I'm longing for?

1. Declutter - free up some space, uncover the horizontal surfaces, un-crowd the rooms. This alone can be a big spirit booster; especially at the end of a long winter when I'm struggling with cabin fever and Spring fever and whatever else ails me. 

How to: Let's pretend I want to improve the living room, the room where I receive guests. First, I stand at the door of the room and look at it critically, as if the guests will be arriving tomorrow and I want to make a good impression. I analyze the elements in the room, what makes it look crowded, what makes it look inviting, what could improve it (without spending any money). Second, pick up any trash from the floor, the tables, the mantel, the window sills, the bookcases, the . . . wherever it is. Trash is junk mail, candy wrappers, notices from the school, children's art or craft work (not the actual piece but the leftovers from making it), and anything else that needs to go into the trash bin. Third, put away anything that doesn't belong in the room: clothes, shoes, toys, dishes, games, sports equipment, etc. Fourth, can I take out anything, a table or chair, to make more room and help the room feel more spacious? Can I remove some of the permanent residents on the tables (end or coffee), the mantel, the window sills, to reduce the clutteredness of the room?  All of that is decluttering and costs nothing.

2. Clean - I find I can be more patient in waiting for redecoration if I keep the room clean. That means clearing out the cobwebs in the corners, dusting the ceiling fan blades and washing the light fixtures; washing the woodwork and moldings, dusting the furniture, sweeping or vacuuming the floors/carpets, shining the windows and mirrors, laundering the curtains, shaking out area rugs and spot cleaning the carpets. "A clean room is a happy room!" When a room is clean top to bottom it feels better, looks and smells better, and is easier to live in.

3. Rearrange - Can the furniture be moved around into a more pleasing arrangement? How about just another arrangement for variety and newness? Some people like to rearrange frequently, my mother was one. I'd come home from school and the living room would be completely different than when I left that morning. While my husband was in the Marine Corps he frequently rearranged his office, as in every other week (it seemed like!). Our daughter is very much that way too. She lives in the same apartment, behind my parent's home, that I lived in thirty-five years ago. Once I got my furniture in and arranged it stayed like that. Noble is always rearranging things, just for variety, I guess. Anyway, it is a way to have a new look without spending any money.

4. Shop in your own home - Can I swap a pair of lamps with another pair from a bedroom? Is there a bookcase or bureau or table that can be swapped from one room to another for a better look? Can I edit the artwork and photos on the wall to be more focused, more cohesive a grouping, more like a fine art gallery? What's hiding in my cupboards, drawers, totes, closets, basement, attic, spare room, etc. that could be put to use and brighten things up? Sometimes just one new thing can make a big difference in how we feel about our home. And new doesn't have to come from a store with a hefty price tag.

After doing all these steps I can live a while longer with my rooms, until the magical moment when time, money and energy come together and I get the room I see in my dreams! It really does happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment