Friday, September 28, 2012

September Total Grocery Spending

I surprised myself. Total grocery spending for the month is $356.76 including this week's addition of $42.12 bringing the weekly average to just $89.19. Pretty darn good, if I do say so.

Of course, I'll be totally honest, I would have spent more if there had been any more to spend. I ran out of fruit for one boy, and salty snacks (chips, pretzels, etc.) that the other boy likes in his lunches, but overall I think I did pretty good.

I'm going to keep up this average calculating because I want to see what it looks like over a longer period, also I'd like to see a monthly average.

A friend of mine has offered space in her garden next year to grow what I want, thank you J! She has nine acres and will put in a huge garden and generously offered some of it to me. I want to grow a "salsa garden" and beets, cantaloupe, spinach, eggplant, peas, beans, pumpkins and sweet corn. What I actually will grow remains to be seen. Some most times my dreams are bigger than my reality.

I'm still looking at putting in a few (two to four) fruit trees on our property. I've been watching where the sunny patches are and think I have figured out where the best spots are. I need to go down the street to the Iowa State University Extension office and talk to the experts there about which varieties grow best here. I'm dangerously low on jams and jellies and with my mother gone can't expect anymore supplies from San Diego. Guess it's time to grow up and fend for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment