Thursday, March 10, 2016

Thursday's Thrift in the Kitchen

Processing Bulk Buys

Buying twenty pounds of ground beef isn't very thrifty if left in the ten pound tubes, they're too difficult to use. But I learned something from one time of leaving a tube in the fridge for a while. (Sometimes I'm a slow learner.) What I learned is that I can pre-cook the meat and store it in the freezer for almost instant meals. Now that's thrifty.

This time I did half and half. I determined ahead of time what I wanted:

3 lb. made into patties
4 lb. in 2 packages for meatloaf
3 lb. in 3 packages for casseroles



4 lb. cooked with chopped onion put into 1/2# packages
6 lb. made into meatballs, cooked and packaged 2 dozen meatballs in a package

crumbled ground beef with onion



Meatball mix
Meatballs ready for baking

Baked Meatballs
They didn't come out quite even dozens, so I made one small package, perhaps for when it is just TopDad and I.

Recipe for Baked Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used homemade bread crumbled in a blender)
1/4 cup minced onion (this time I used dried onion powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix all together and form 1" balls (a cookie scoop works great), place on a cooking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

When they were finished I scraped all the lovely drippings up along with the meatballs into the containers to freeze for the added flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment