Thursday, August 9, 2012

Score at the Store

Today I stocked up on a pantry essential (at least in my kitchen). I found butter on sale for $1.49 per pound at HyVee, an employee owned grocery chain here and bought 10 pounds each of salted and unsalted butter. That should get me through to the new year.

I also got a dozen, plus two, cans of whole kernel corn for 39 cents a can. We go through a lot of corn. I wanted to buy more but that's all that was on the shelf and I couldn't find a clerk to get more from the back room. I get frustrated because these good deals are 30 minutes away from home and I can't just "run to the store" every time I feel like it.

So much of my grocery shopping is just restocking the "pantry" in order to have the basic ingredients for my cooking.

Beginning in September I'll be tracking my grocery spending so I can #1 see what the average is, and #2 see if I can stay on a budget. I'll have two pools of money: one for normal weekly groceries, the other for stocking up on basics, although there is some overlap in the two.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea. I am not the only one who shops for our pantry, groceries, and food storage, so controling the money spent there is difficult. But, we do enter every penny spent into Quicken, where is has to be labeled in a catagory. So, I can see if we are staying on budget, and where the money is spent. I just can't see who spent it...I will have to record all my own expenditures, so I know at the end of the month how much I spent personally. We have been better about staying within budget on groceries overall, which is good.

    ReplyDelete