Monday, August 20, 2012

Tightwads United

Some years ago, in another place, I tried to start a "Tightwad" group to encourage the sharing of ideas and practices. It never really got off the ground.

I'd like to try again with an internet group.

Do you know what a tightwad is?

A TIGHTWAD is . . .

T - thrifty with resources
I - inventive and creative
G - grateful for all she/he has
H - happy with homemade
T - tenacious
W - willing to experiment
A - attentive to details
D - dedicated to goals

. . . and worth her/his weight in gold!

Are you a tightwad? Do you want to be? Would you like to be part of sharing ideas and practices here at PFCMom?

I'll start and you can join in down below in the comments.

Menu Mondays

I serve a lot of cooked oatmeal here. Growing up my parents called it mush. I'd rather say that to a bunch of Huskies. I never called it that for my children because that sounds yucky. I've always called it oatmeal cereal because children (and husbands) are more willing to try something with a nice name.

Recently we had a dish for breakfast that we hadn't had for a long time; I chose it because the oven was finally fixed and I had a craving. I called everyone to breakfast saying "Time for breakfast, come on we're having cookies!"

When my husband took an unprecedented second helping I asked what made the difference. "Just calling it cookies makes it taste better."

So here's my recipe for Baked Oatmeal or Cookies for Breakfast

1 1/2 cups rolled oats (if using regular rather than quick, soak for 15 minutes in the milk)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soft butter (1/2 stick)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until edges are dark golden brown.

Serve warm with plain or fruited yogurt; fresh, frozen, dried, or canned fruit; milk or cream.

Fruits such as raisins, craisins, fresh or frozen blueberries, chopped apples, etc., chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or coconut may be added before baking. Try it with your favorite spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and such. This is a very versatile and forgiving dish.

Recipe can be doubled for a 9x13 inch pan.


1 comment:

  1. Count me in! I could always learn some new tricks! Great recipe too! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete