Saturday, May 2, 2015

Second Garden of the Day

Hama-rikyu Gardens

"Gardens of the Tokugawa Shogun family representing the Edo era, famous for its "Shiori-no-Ike" pond and two duck ponds. The Shiori pond is designed featuring a landscape that changes with the ebb and low of the tides. These are the only tidewater ponds which still remain in Tokyo."

Cherry trees against the backdrop of skyscrapers:


Part of the rock wall lining the canal to Tokyo Bay through which the tidewaters flow.


"This pine was planted 300 years ago to commemorate the great renovations made to the garden by the 6th shogun Ienobu. The thick branches spread out low, presenting a proud, imposing view."


Showing some of the branch supports. I was fascinated at how many ancient trees I saw around Tokyo, held up by supports and nurtured rather than destroyed.


A variety of bamboo growing on a slope. I saw some beautiful bamboo groves, but never when I had my camera ready. (Darn)


A view of one of the ponds.


PFCMom and my sweet hostess.


"This is a rest house where the shogun, ladies and Imperial Court nobles enjoyed a view that they were all very fond of. The present building is a restored one built in 1983. Here you can enjoy powdered green tea and Japanese sweets."


Matsu-no-ochaya (Pine Teahouse)
"One of the teahouses built in the time of the 11th shogun Ienari. While it was destroyed by fire during the war, it was restored in 2010 based on research of the remains including cornerstones. By construction faithful to the historical sources, a landscape redolent of bygone days has been recreated."


In the midst of a gigantic, bustling city, I enjoyed this oasis of peace and beauty. I could well imagine what it was like hundreds of years ago. The two gardens we visited gave me some ideas of what I could do with my own little plot of ground in Iowa.


No comments:

Post a Comment