Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Better Watch Out . . .

Many years ago, in another life, I worked with a woman who loved Christmas; so much so that on the twenty-fifth of each month she would exclaim "Only (fill in the blank) more months until Christmas!"  It was one of those things that wormed its way into my brain and from then on when I notice that it is the twenty-fifth of the month I think "Only two more months until Christmas!"  And, actually, it makes me happy!

Christmas seems to be the culmination of the year's hopes and dreams.  The high point of the year; certainly the biggest celebration of the year.  Noble called last night to give me her flight information for her return at Christmas time.  Now that is cause for celebration.

Also on my mind this morning is blessings.  JET offered the prayer today after scripture reading and said "We thank thee for all our blessings."  I guess Heavenly Father  is patient and understanding; I've tried to model for our children enumerating some of those blessings.  Perhaps JET will feel more inclined to do so as a missionary, when many taken for granted blessings are left behind.  This week's letter from Elder PW mentioned his joy at having a washing machine in this new apartment.  So for the record I will list some of my blessings. (in no particular order)

solid built house
hot and cold running water
appliances such as washer, dryer, stove, fridge, freezer, heater
electric lights that turn on instantly
food
clothes
comfortable, warm beds
computers, phone service
tons of books
husband who works hard without complaining
obedient children (rather than rebellious)
a living prophet
a loving Savior and Heavenly Father
the gift of the Holy Ghost
modern scripture to confirm and complement ancient scripture
a testimony of the truth
priesthood in my home
vehicle that runs
colors of the autumn leaves
tools to use to create (sewing machine, scissors, fabric, etc)
calendars and clocks
a paved walking trail
big trees
music cd's
parents
brothers and sisters
grandfathers who completed their life stories

May you be mindful of all your blessings today!

No comments:

Post a Comment