Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Heaters, Wool Sweaters and Socks, Oh My!

Day Sixteen of Count Your Blessings

Studying the domestic history of our country is an interest of mine.  I have an exceptionally well written book called "Our Own Snug Fireside, Images of the New England Home 1760 - 1860" by Jane C. Nylander.  In the chapter called Frosty Mornings and Stinging Fingers: The Effects of Winter, the author details the differences in homes then and now.  From the diary and journals records we know that their homes were much colder in the winter than ours. MUCH colder, as in interior temperatures in the forties. They didn't turn up the heaters in winter, they put on more clothes.

Today was the first day I've felt cold this autumn.  I turned up the heater a notch and still felt cold so I put on my trusty sweater to keep me warm. (I've been wearing wool socks to bed because I can't fall asleep if my feet are cold.)

I'm so thankful for heaters and programmable thermostats; wool sweaters and socks; flannel sheets and pajamas.  (And we haven't even gotten to winter yet!)

I have to admit, this is the only place I've ever lived where the weather makes me nervous.  I experienced my first blizzard last year and the fury of the wind was downright scary!  Makes me doubly thankful to be a stay at home mom, too.  No trudging off to work everyday.  I really admire all of you who do it.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine how they dealt with the cold in the mornings that long ago. I am so grateful for those things also! That reminds me...I need to get a set of flannel sheets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't even remember that blizzard... Maybe there will be one while I'm visiting. Hopefully not when I need to get back to the airport...

    ReplyDelete